My Insignia TV won’t turn on. It just sits there with a blank screen. What should I do?
This is a common problem when the TV is older. Most TVs will work fine for years before needing service. But sometimes something goes wrong and there’s no picture, so you need to fix it yourself.
I’ve written this guide to help you diagnose and repair your Insignia TV. I’ll walk you through each step of the process and explain how to fix it.
- Related article: TV Stopped Turning On
1. Change the Input Source to the Insignia TV
This may seem like an obvious fix, but sometimes we forget that we can change the input source in the settings menu.
If the Insignia TV shows that it’s “on” but there’s nothing on the screen, the TV could be on the wrong input source. So that’s why the TV looks to be off and not turning on.
To change the TV’s input source with the remote control:
- Press the Source button on the remote control.
- Choose the correct input source.
To change the TV’s input source without the remote control:
- Press the physical Menu button that’s on the bottom or side of your TV.
- Select the correct input source by using the volume buttons to navigate.
- Choose the input source by pressing the Menu button.
Some Insignia TV models may alternatively have a specific input source button on the bottom, side, or back of the TV. Check for that as well.
2. Loose Power Cord on the Back of Insignia TV
Check the power cord in the back of the Insignia TV and to the power outlet in case the power cord is loose.
Make sure to tighten both connections, so they’re not loose.
What you can also do is to unplug the power cord on the TV and plug it back in tightly.
Press the Power button on the Insignia TV itself and see if the power comes on.
3. Try a Different Power Outlet
Another possible issue is the power outlet that the Insignia TV is connected to. There might be a blown fuse or another issue.
Check the power outlet to see if electricity is coming out of the wall socket by plugging your phone charger into it. If your phone is charging, that means there’s power coming out of the wall socket and the TV has an issue.
If there’s no power coming out of the power outlet, try to plug the TV into a different power outlet to make sure the Insignia TV also hasn’t shorted out or had any other issue.
4. Try a Soft Reset of Insignia TV
A soft reset or power cycle can help reset any issues with the Insignia TV if your TV won’t turn on.
- Unplug the Insignia TV from the power outlet.
- Wait 60 seconds.
- With the TV unplugged, Press and Hold the Power button for 30 seconds.
- After 60 seconds, Plug the TV into the power outlet.
See if this fixes the issue and the Insignia TV turns on again. This should fix the issue for 3 out of 4 cases. If it doesn’t, try the other solutions below.
5. Replace the Remote Control Batteries
It could be that the Insignia TV remote is out of power, so the TV won’t turn on. Changing the batteries and putting in a fresh set will help with the issue.
A soft reset of the remote will also help.
- Take both batteries out of the remote.
- While the batteries are out, Press and Hold the Power button on the remote for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, put fresh batteries into the remote.
- Try to turn the TV on.
If this fixes the Insignia TV temporarily, but then it continues to happen again, a factory reset might be needed to make it more of a permanent fix.
6. Factory Reset the Insignia TV
A factory reset of the Insignia TV will reset the TV back to its original, factory settings like when you first purchased and turned on the TV.
While the TV is on:
- Go to Settings
- Select General
- Select Reset
- Enter in your Security PIN (default is “0000”)
- The TV will now turn off and on again by itself.
- Go through the initial setup process.
7. Factory Reset the Insignia TV Without a Remote
If you can’t find your remote, don’t worry. You can still perform a factory reset on your TV without a remote control.
Here’s how to do a factory reset without a remote on an Insignia TV:
While the Insignia TV is on, go to the TV’s Menu by Pressing the Menu button
- Go to Settings
- Select General
- Select Reset
If the Insignia TV is positioned in a way that you can’t access the buttons or they’re not working, there are other options to access the menu options.
8. Backlight is Broken on the Insignia TV
A broken backlight on the Insignia TV is a possibility if you’ve tried the above fixes.
Here’s how to test if your TV’s backlight is broken:
- Turn on your Insignia TV
- Turn on a flashlight and point it at the TV screen. Bring it as close as you can.
- See if you can see an image on the TV screen with the flashlight.
- If you see any images on the screen, that means the TV’s backlight is broken and needs to be replaced.
9. Replace the Power Supply
Your Insignia TV may need a new power supply. The power supply is what provides electricity to the TV. It powers all the components inside the TV, including the main board, display, speakers, etc.
If you see that there are no lights, including the standby light, that are on, it could be that the power supply board isn’t working correctly and needs to be replaced.
A replacement power supply isn’t expensive either, usually under $100 if you can replace it yourself.
Here’s a good tutorial video on how to replace the power supply board.
10. Fried Motherboard in the Insignia TV
Much like a computer, an Insignia smart TV has a motherboard to control many of its features and functions.
If the motherboard has any issues, it would lead to the Insignia TV not turning on.
Motherboards are inexpensive and can be replaced by yourself. But with something like this, unless you’ve done something similar to this on a computer, it’s best to take it back to the store or call in tech support.
|Insignia 50" Main Video Board Motherboard|
|Check Latest Price|
|Insignia TV Motherboards at Walmart.com|
11. Check if You Have an Active Warranty on the Insignia TV
If all else fails, check if you have an active warranty on the Insignia TV. The manufacturer’s warranty may cover the cost of repairing the TV if it breaks down. Some warranties will replace the whole TV instead.
You may also be able to purchase a warranty from the retailer where you purchased the TV. Retailers often offer extended warranties on products you purchase from them.
These extended warranties are often better than the manufacturer’s warranty. When it comes to a big ticket item like a smart Insignia TV, the extended warranty is often recommended.
Insignia TV Won’t Turn On Final Thoughts
These are some of the most common reasons why an Insignia TV won’t turn on. Hopefully, I was able to help you get your TV turned on with this guide!
If you’re still having trouble getting your Insignia TV to work, you can always contact the Insignia support team about issues you’re having. They may also have a good number of instruction manuals that you can download for your specific Insignia model.
For more troubleshooting guides for other TV brands, check out these articles: