Amazon has upped the smart display game with their latest 3rd Generation Echo Show 10. I go in-depth in this Amazon Echo Show 10 review, discussing its features like screen pivoting for continuous proper framing during video calls. No longer are you stuck with stationary screens and constant manual adjusting.
Smart home devices have come a long way since Amazon started the ball rolling with the original 1st generation Echo smart speaker. With the addition of smart displays, the functionality of these devices increased 10-fold.
- Alexa can show you even more - With a 10.1" HD screen that’s designed to move with you, video calls, recipes, and shows are always in view. The speakers deliver premium, directional sound.
- Stay in frame - Video call friends and family or take a picture while the 13 MP camera with auto-framing and motion keeps you front and center.
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Let’s start getting into the details of the features and benefits in this Amazon Echo Show 10 review.
For a full comparison review of all the Echo Show Smart Displays, do check out this article: Amazon Echo Show 5 vs 8 vs 10.
Echo Show 10 Features and Benefits
One of the stand out device features is the motorized screen. The third-gen Echo show has the screen mounted in such a way that it will follow you as you move around the room. The benefits of this may not be immediately obvious, but it is actually an incredibly useful addition.
It works using a virtually silent brushless motor and a dedicated processor to ‘triangulate’ the shape of a human, which it can then follow as you move around.
With its video calling capabilities, imagine being on a Skype video call with friends as you move around your kitchen preparing dinner. Your friends will always be able to see you.
Other Highlights include:
- Alexa – With the built-in voice assistant, you can use simple voice commands to control the Echo Show and any other linked smart devices, such as thermostats, alarms, doorbells, and smart lighting systems. You can also ask Alexa for information like weather reports, unit conversions, news, and even ask her to tell you a joke.
- Remote Access – The Alexa App allows you to access the Echo Show 10 remotely. You can use this feature to look around a room from wherever you are, which offers you peace of mind as far as security goes and keep an eye on the kids from another room. Alexa also has a feature called Alexa Guard that can hear the sounds of glass breaking, or a carbon monoxide or smoke alarm and send alert notifications to you.
- Entertainment Center – Entertainment has always been at the core of this range of products. The Show 10 has a larger screen and improved speakers has enhanced the experience. Popular platforms that Alexa can access screen content from include Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Fire TV, Spotify, YouTube and Hulu.
- Zigbee Hub – This is integrated into the unit, Zigbee is a low-power wireless protocol that many smart devices like smart thermostats and smart alarms use. By integrating Zigbee, Amazon has enhanced the range of devices that can be controlled as part of a complete smart home ecosystem.
- 13mp Camera – The forward facing 13-megapixel camera can be used for video call capabilities, remotely checking your property, and even snapping photographs. When used for video phone calls, the camera is what drives the ‘follow me’ feature. It automatically pans and zooms to ensure you and your family are always centered on screen.
Amazon also plans to add Zoom and Amazon Chime functionality to the Show 10 in a future update. If you are concerned about security it can be turned off electronically or simply by sliding a manual cover over the lens.
- Photo Gallery – When the screen isn’t busy showing you a movie or helping you prepare dinner, it can be used as a digital photo frame to display your photographs. The screen uses an Adaptive Color feature that is designed to enhance the look of your photos depending on the ambient light.
- Privacy – There has been a lot of discussion about privacy issues surrounding the entire range of Alexa devices. Amazon has obviously listened and have added some extra features to alleviate some privacy concerns.
Included in these are buttons to turn the microphone and camera off. There’s a sliding shutter to physically block the camera and the screen motion can be easily turned off as well. The built-in processor that powers the screen motion is also localized, so nothing is sent to or received from the cloud.
- Music – With upgraded speakers the Amazon Echo 10 also acts as a great music device. It offers better sound quality than all previous models. Feel free to play your favorite music videos and songs from YouTube, radio stations, Amazon Music, Spotify, and more.
Design, Display, Speaker, Size Dimensions
When comparing the latest Echo Show 10 against earlier versions, the first thing that you notice is the entirely new design. Previous versions had the functional touch screen in the front with the speakers tucked away in the housing behind the screen.
With the 10 model, it has the look of a more traditional Echo Smart Speaker that has had a tablet attached to it. This design change is what gives the space that allows the screen to follow your movements.
While the aesthetics have changed, the technical changes are at the heart of this upgrade.
- Speakers – The earlier models had one or two speakers depending on model. This has 2 tweeters and a 3.0″ woofer that offer far more acoustic range and depth of sound.
- Screen – A big improvement over the 5.5″ and 8″ screens of the previous models. A 10.1-inch HD touchscreen with 1280 x 800 resolution has been added to this model.
The 3rd-gen Echo Show 10 has the same screen as the 2nd generation Echo Show 10 with a 10-inch, 1,280-by-800 touch screen with 720p video.
It is also larger than previous models, standing at 9″ tall, a width of 9.9″, and depth of 6.7″. By comparison the largest of previous generations was 5.4″ high with a width of 7.9″ and a depth of 3.9″.
Of course, much of this change has been driven by the inclusion of a larger screen and the mechanics of allowing for the screen rotation.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity – It has Dual Band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), Dual Antenna Wi-Fi built in, supporting 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Networks. It also has 802.15.4 (Zigbee) connectivity to add support for a range of smart home devices.
- Bluetooth – Features support for the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). These allow for seamless audio connections and for voice control of mobile devices.
- Display – 10-inch HD Display capable of 1280 x 800 resolution
- Speakers – 2.1 Channel Audio system featuring 2 x 1-inch tweeters and a 3-inch woofer
- Camera – 13mp with a physical camera shutter to disable
- Processors – The main processor is a MediaTek 8183. There is also an Amazon AZ1 Neural Edge Processor that controls most of the screen’s Follow Me feature.
- Weight – 90.3 oz (2560g)
- Motion – 175° powered by a brushless motor
- System Requirements – Wi-Fi network and the app is compatible with Android, iOS and Fire OS
This is one of the prime areas that Amazon has focused on with its latest model. Apart from the size and resolution increase, the most striking upgrade is the fact that it can now follow you around.
Examples of when this could be useful are when you are following a couple of recipes and moving around the kitchen as you prepare a meal. Amazon has included a one-year Food Network Kitchen Premium subscription, an extremely popular feature for home chefs. There’s also a Food Network Kitchen app for recipes.
It is also a feature that can be really useful when making video calls while walking around the room, following an online exercise video, or having your photos in view no matter where you are sitting.
This can also be used to enhance security and safety, giving you the ability to look round your room remotely from the Alexa App. This ability is further enhanced when the system is linked to other features like smart burglar, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
The extra screen size also makes watching videos from streaming video services a better experience than on earlier models, including with screen brightness.
The camera has also received a massive upgrade, jumping from 1mp on previous models to 13mp on the Echo Show 10. This allows for clearer outgoing video during video calls and those all important selfies.
As well as the video upgrades, Amazon have also pushed out audio upgrades with the Show 10. The 2.1 channel tweeter and woofer system makes for livelier audio all-around.
The obvious result of these more powerful speakers is enhanced quality when using streaming music services like Amazon Music and Spotify, but the added quality of sound is also effective at producing better quality sound during video calls.
It’s not going to compete with a full surround sound setup, but the speakers are much better than anything before.
Smart Home Hub and Amazon Alexa
Used as a standalone smart screen, this is a great hardware device. But pair it with Amazon Alexa and use it as a smart home hub, that’s when the full potential of this Echo smart display is realized.
It can be used as a smart home hub that acts as the central point for an ever-increasing range of smart home devices. Some examples of devices that can be integrated into an Alexa powered smart home include: –
- Smart Lights
- Smart Thermostats
- Smart Doorbells
- Smart Lawn Mowers
- Smart Sprinklers
- Smart Burglar Alarms
Of course, the most common uses of this device is still going to be as an entertainment and information hub through Alexa. As well as being able to play your choice of music and video, Alexa can also be used to play games, quizzes, answer your questions, and play podcasts. The list of Alexa Skills is constantly growing.
Echo Show 10 Review Final Thoughts
If you’re already looking at getting a smart display and speaker, this 3rd-Gen Echo Show 10 is definitely the one to get. While this model is at a higher price point than the Echo Show 5 and 8, it’s almost the same price as the non-moving, 2nd-Generation Echo Show 10.
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Past upgrades to Echo Show models have been mere tweaks when compared to the complete makeover that the Amazon Echo Show 10 has been given. Greatly enhanced sound and video were nice updates, but the best upgrade is the moving screen.
Without a doubt, this is what people are going to like the most. Whether you’re on a Skype call, watching a YouTube video while tidying up, or following a step-by-step recipe as you cook dinner, there are so many uses for this feature.
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Watch YouTube Videos on the Echo Show?
Yes, you definitely can! Choose your browser, by saying either “Alexa, open Silk” or “Alexa, open Firefox.” Open up YouTube in the browser and start watching YouTube videos.
Can You Watch Netflix on the Echo Show?
Yes, you can! Amazon Echo Show supports Netflix streaming. The Netflix app is already pre-installed, so all you need to do is open the Netflix app in the Echo’s Video section. Sign in to your Netflix account and start binging your favorite Netflix shows.